Tyldesley

For English, European and World football topics.
Scottish
Site Admin

Tyldesley

Post by Scottish » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Just when you think this guy can't get any worse he repeatedly calls Andres Iniesta 'Anders.' Is it asking too much of ITV's "top" commentator to get players' names right? One thing Chris Coleman failing to pronounce 'Beausejour' and instead making it sound like weak French win but to constantly make a mistake with such an easy name and with a player seen just about every week on British TV is a bit much.

Almost as bad as the crocodile tears over Estrada's dismissal when Tyldesley himself acknowledged the player should have walked minutes earlier.

Mind you I am having difficulty telling which commentator is which. Unlike the glory days of Coleman, Motty and Barry Davies when at least you knew who the commentator was the moment he opened his mouth, the current lot all sound alike. With the exception of Jonathan Pearce who now sounds sedated (and the better for it) compared to his time at Capital Radio when he used to get mutli-orgasmic at throw-ins in Third Division matches at Brisbane Road.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Christ! He got worse in the second half, claiming NORTH Korea are in the last sixteen then the usual waffle he comes out in every World Cup that the English referee is the best in the tournament but won't ref the final because England will be in it.

As for his guff about Spain not wanting to concede so they could avoid Brazil, they didn't want to concede because if they did and the Swiss scored (admittedly a remote prospect) they'd be out altogether.

BTW there ARE car horns and fireworks in Barcelona tonight but it is decidedly muted compared to a Barca match.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Tyldeseley strikes again. As the Ghana-Uruguay game went into extra time his remarks were: "Give the wife a call and tell her you'll be stuck down the pub for another half hour or so."

How very 1950s. A good job for him he didn't hear my wife's response to his caveman comment.

Snuff

Tyldesley

Post by Snuff » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:29 am

I thought his best one came before the kick off last night: "The first rule of commentating is - never forget to be even-handed".

In his twisted world does this not apply to covering England.
Snuff

lbb

Re: Tyldesley

Post by lbb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:20 am

Snuff wrote:
It didn't apply to Ghana either. ITV's coverage last night was appalling from that point of view. Having gone into the match as a neutral, I ended up supporting Uruguay simply as a reaction to ITV's blatant bias in favour of Ghana. I was puzzled by the view that Ghana were playing for Africa as if the entire history of the continent has been one long story of brotherly love. Presumably as a white European, I should be supporting Germany against Argentina this afternoon.

Tyldesley's reactions when Uruguay missed a penalty in the shootout and when Ghana missed theirs was incredibly unprofessional. No recogition of the fact that for Uruguay, a country that didn't even qualify for the last World Cup, to reach the semi-finals of the World Cup is a story in itself.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38 am

lbb wrote:
Snuff wrote:
It didn't apply to Ghana either. ITV's coverage last night was appalling from that point of view. Having gone into the match as a neutral, I ended up supporting Uruguay simply as a reaction to ITV's blatant bias in favour of Ghana. I was puzzled by the view that Ghana were playing for Africa as if the entire history of the continent has been one long story of brotherly love. Presumably as a white European, I should be supporting Germany against Argentina this afternoon.
I only caught the second half but would concur with the above. And not just Tyldesley. Adrian Chiles and co were just as bad. That said, there did appear to be significant pan-continental support (or at least from sub-Saharan Africa) on a scale which just wouldn't happen elsewhere. Brazilians are not transferring support to Argentina and had Uruguay gone out nor would Uruguyans. South Koreans did not turn to Japan. Germany-Argentina is a nightmare from the xenophobic commentator's POV. But, taking things to their logical conclusion, yes we should all be supporting the European team. Personally I just wish for a good game that allows the undoubted talents of both teams to shine though, if I may borrow a word from German, I will feel a certain schadenfraude if this competition ends with Diego Maradona as coach of the new world champions.

It would be intriguing to hear the explanations as to why the allegedly lunatic and useless coach was the winner while the 'genius' of the £6M a year man couldn't get past the last sixteen.

Bristol Rovers

Post by Bristol Rovers » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:04 pm

scottish wrote:
lbb wrote:
Snuff wrote:
I only caught the second half but would concur with the above. And not just Tyldesley. Adrian Chiles and co were just as bad. That said, there did appear to be significant pan-continental support (or at least from sub-Saharan Africa) on a scale which just wouldn't happen elsewhere. Brazilians are not transferring support to Argentina and had Uruguay gone out nor would Uruguyans. South Koreans did not turn to Japan. Germany-Argentina is a nightmare from the xenophobic commentator's POV. But, taking things to their logical conclusion, yes we should all be supporting the European team. Personally I just wish for a good game that allows the undoubted talents of both teams to shine though, if I may borrow a word from German, I will feel a certain schadenfraude if this competition ends with Diego Maradona as coach of the new world champions.

It would be intriguing to hear the explanations as to why the allegedly lunatic and useless coach was the winner while the 'genius' of the £6M a year man couldn't get past the last sixteen.
If you think British TV is biased, you should have heard the South African commentary last night. Here in Kenya, I watched the game along with about thirty Kenyans and Ugandans, who all felt they were Ghanaian as all Africans stand together. I also went into the game admiring the Ghana side, but reasonably neutral. By the time Gyan was twisting Uruguayan players' faces when the ref wasn't looking and the commentator was appealing for invisible penalties, I began seriously supporting Uruguay. Several Kenyans were in tears as theor "local" side had lost. We in the UK might as well support Turkey. Over the 120 mins Uruguay deserved (just) their win and I think justice was done. I wouldn't have been impressed if Gyan, who could have been sent off earlier, I felt, had scored the "historic" goal.

Snuff

Tydelsley

Post by Snuff » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Tonight, I think ITV solved the Tyldesley problem.

With Jim Beglin ill and no co-commentator/summarieser, the bold Clive had to do the work of two men.

He took over an hour to mention England - which he did just once and to be fair, the mention was in context rather than gratuitous.

He made just one mysoginist comment - about having enough beer in for the penalty shoot-out and I actually thought he commentated quite well, because he was too busy to be his normal silly self.

A slight hint of pro-Holland bias, but I suppose in a Europe v South America match we can allow him that.

So, not a bad effort. Either that, or his more-talented twin brother was at the mike.

Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Was Jim Beglin really ill though? Or had he, like the rest of us, just had too much Tyldesley?

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:27 pm

scottish wrote:Was Jim Beglin really ill though? Or had he, like the rest of us, just had too much Tyldesley?
Mercifully we are spared Tyldesley here in NZ, but I read on the Guardian min-by-min that he was frothing about Van Persie being offside at the Dutch second goal. Despite, that is, the replay showing his position was marginal, the ball coming off a defender and Van Persie not actually touching it.

That Van Bommel is a dirty Knut though, isn't he?
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Frothing, indeed. So worked up about it that for a moment I thought England had made it through after all, such was his intensity.

I will give the UK commentators a miss tomorrow night. For the simple reason that satellite TV is delayed by a couple of seconds or so. Doesn't sound much but when Spain are playing the shouts from the street tell you what is happening before the action unfolds on satellite. So it will be the just as biased Spanish commentators for me.

Van Bommel? Yes, he's always been like that though. It's no revelation. He's the sort of player everyone hates.

Unless he's in your team of course.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:30 am

Alan Green on Radio 5 Live reached new lows of disdain. Decrying the game and the standard of the World Cup. Where His style once was novel is now just extremely grating.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 am

the hibLOG wrote:
scottish wrote:Was Jim Beglin really ill though? Or had he, like the rest of us, just had too much Tyldesley?
Mercifully we are spared Tyldesley here in NZ, but I read on the Guardian min-by-min that he was frothing about Van Persie being offside at the Dutch second goal. Despite, that is, the replay showing his position was marginal, the ball coming off a defender and Van Persie not actually touching it.
He wasn't as offside as Tyldsley obviously thought he was but he WAS still offside. The defensive touch is irrelevant and Van Persie not actually touching it ought to be too since it went through his legs! How that's not interfering I wouldn't know.

The official got it wrong but it's far from the worst decision of the tournament.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:51 am

THIS made me laugh.

An ear infection? After sitting next to Tyldesley all tournament? Really?

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:Alan Green on Radio 5 Live reached new lows of disdain. Decrying the game and the standard of the World Cup. Where His style once was novel is now just extremely grating.
The funny thing about Alan Green is that i find him actually quite good as a pundit, say when he's doing 6-0-6. Good with the callers, insightful and talks a lot of sense.

Unfortunately that all changes when he commentates - excruating sums him up. Opinionated, negative and scathing too. He doesn't merely commentate, he uses it as a platform to air his views and i don't want that, i just want him to tell us what bloddy going on on the pitch! As soon as he starts, that's my cue to switch over to Talksport.

I also hate the way he refers to England as 'us' and 'we'. I remember the story of how he went ballistic after the anthems before Scotland v England in November 1999 because the Scots totally booed GSTQ! At least with Colin Murray 5 live have a Northern Irishman who actually supports his own country.

Alan Green also seems umbilically linked to 5 live too. It seems he's got a job for life there despite regularly falling out with colleagues, for example Mark Saggers and Graham Taylor recently.