William Watson and James McKee, 'foreigners' capped in 1898

For English, European and World football topics.
ScottishFA

William Watson and James McKee, 'foreigners' capped in 1898

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:12 am

Another story for international week, the Englishman and Irishman who played for Scotland:

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/spo ... y-scotland

Alan Brown

Re: William Watson and James McKee, 'foreigners' capped in 1

Post by Alan Brown » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Well done with the articles Andy, i really enjoyed reading them. Regarding a photo of William Watson, maybe John Meffen the Falkirk historian would have a suitable image?

Alan

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 pm

Well, would you believe it - within an hour of my blog post going live, the information about James McKee is copied onto Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McKee

And while I am credited in the links, it makes me wonder who is 'Jmorrison230582' and why is he so desperate to copy someone else's research without doing any of his own? In fact, the same person has been systematically copying info about Scotland players from other sources including the less-than-reliable Who's Who by Paul Smith. This kind of behaviour is killing football history publishing.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:53 am

ScottishFA wrote:Well, would you believe it - within an hour of my blog post going live, the information about James McKee is copied onto Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McKee

And while I am credited in the links, it makes me wonder who is 'Jmorrison230582' and why is he so desperate to copy someone else's research without doing any of his own? In fact, the same person has been systematically copying info about Scotland players from other sources including the less-than-reliable Who's Who by Paul Smith. This kind of behaviour is killing football history publishing.
Amen to that.

Perhaps something like the old AFS should be resurrected with "accreditation" to show something has come from a "proper" researcher?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 am

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL HISTORIAN - I`m sure John Litster would be interested in receiving contributions at progm@hotmail.com

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:36 am

I've decided to delete the blog post. Hopefully those who are interested had already read it.

This creates a conundrum for Wikipedia: the information no longer 'exists', therefore it cannot be true. And that, I guess, is the fundamental problem with Wikipedia, its conviction that 'if it is on the internet, it must be true', or 'if someone has written something down, it must be true'.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 am

It's a ridiculous situation Andy. Your sterling efforts, the result of years of research in many instances, is cut and pasted to Wikipedia with a wee footer detailing the source. Yeah, that's commensurate with the effort I'm sure!

Unfortunately, I see such happenings leaving the historians little option other than to retain such information until, say, a book is published, or share exclusively within a tried and tested environment of historians that they know. Perhaps a password protected blog could be considered?

For my sins, and it is taking as long as the building of some of the pyramids, I decided to attempt to research not one club, but all 600 and odd Scottish FA Cup participants for a book originally intended to be completed in 2003 but sadly running some 15 years behind schedule. As irrelevant as it may seem to many, trawling old newspapers and libraries to find ground names and locations, goalscorers in Qualifying Cup ties and clarifying how many different clubs sometimes played under one single name gives me great satisfaction. Would I want my efforts splattered all over Wikipedia by some spotty-faced wee internet plagiariser intent on creating his own archive of 'unique' information? Of course not.

Please keep up the outstanding work Andy and try and find some way of making sure it reaches the audience it deserves.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:22 am

[quote="Please keep up the outstanding work Andy and try and find some way of making sure it reaches the audience it deserves.[/quote]

Hear! Hear!

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Andy please don't allow one idiot that likes to copy your excellent research put you off continuing providing fresh research into Scottish football.

Alan

Essex Corcaigh

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Wed May 13, 2015 12:47 pm

:mrgreen:

I have to agree with everything said here. That's why, once I've completed my first leg of research, which will probably take another two to three years, I will not put it on the Internet, I'll publish it. In book form.

Whatever it cost me to publish would be irrelevant. As Mr. McCabe says, when doing this type of research it is a 'labour of love' and thoroughly enjoyable. I get great satisfaction from discovering new information and new subjects within the sphere of what I'm doing.

The plagiarists that occupy a lot of Wikipedia will never appreciate that !

:mrgreen:
There are those who are Irish and those who wish they were Irish !

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu May 14, 2015 11:45 pm

Totally agreed Paddy. A few of the guys on this forum are currently involved in researching the History of the Scottish League 1890 onwards, and this will definitely be in book format and not available online in the near future.

Alan

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri May 15, 2015 7:09 am

In a world of almost limitless information, it's probably impossible to safeguard your work completely. Copyright infringements are difficult to prove and costly to pursue.
I work on the assumption that if I put my workings in book form then the buggers will at least have to do some considerable plagiarising to produce their own database!