Tommy Lawrence

For English, European and World football topics.
bluedragon

Tommy Lawrence

Post by bluedragon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:13 pm

I am sure many others would have seen the wonderful clip last week of a BBC TV reporter interviewing people in a Liverpool shopping street asking them if they remembered the famous FA Cup Merseyside derby in 1967. The elderly gentleman tells the young reporter that indeed he did as he was Liverpool goalkeeper on the day and that it was Alan Ball who scored the Everton winner. I must admit I had to take a double check but the grin was unmistakeable it was indeed Ayrshire born Tommy Lawrence - a key member of Bill Shankly's first great team. Tommy was an unconventional build for a 'keeper but was very agile earning him the nickname of "the Flying Pig" by the Kop. He had a long career and at the end of it still kept a young Ray Clemence out of the first team.
Why was the 1967 FA Cup Merseyside so memorable? Merseyside football was at its height Liverpool were reigning League Champions, Everton FA Cup holders and both sides had World Cup winners in their line-ups. 64,000 squeezed into Goodison Park while another 40,000 were inside Anfield to watch close circuit television coverage of the match. Despite Bill Shankly's good humoured baiting of the blue half of the city he saw the threat from the team Harry Catterick was putting together. Indeed, this defeat and then losing out to Everton for Howard Kendall's signature led him to tender his resignation that the Anfield board had the sense to turn down.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: Tommy Lawrence

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:08 pm

Brilliant! What were the chances of THAT happening. "Could you remind me of your name?" indeed: young whippersnapper! I kept thinking he kept goal vs. Italy in the 3-0 World Cup defeat in 1965 but I was mixing him up with Adam Blacklaw the other `keeper of that era who didn`t get many caps. Scotland were so ravaged by injuries that day that Stein played Ron Yeats in a no.9 shirt. I`m sure it was live on TV & a guy called Pascutti scored twice.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Love it. You can see the clip here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31188264

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:06 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Brilliant! What were the chances of THAT happening. "Could you remind me of your name?" indeed: young whippersnapper! I kept thinking he kept goal vs. Italy in the 3-0 World Cup defeat in 1965 but I was mixing him up with Adam Blacklaw the other `keeper of that era who didn`t get many caps. Scotland were so ravaged by injuries that day that Stein played Ron Yeats in a no.9 shirt. I`m sure it was live on TV & a guy called Pascutti scored twice.
The Herald for Dec 8th 1965 has a front page story about mass absenteeism because of the game being live on TV. I recall our primary school teacher being badgered into bringing a transistor radio school into school, taking the day off being unthinkable (at least as far as my mother was concerned).

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:11 pm

bluedragon wrote: Why was the 1967 FA Cup Merseyside so memorable? Merseyside football was at its height Liverpool were reigning League Champions, Everton FA Cup holders and both sides had World Cup winners in their line-ups.
Unfortunately my memories of an all-Merseyside cup tie are a lot sadder. I happened to be in Liverpool on the day of the 1989 final a month after Hillsborough. It was a sombre occasion. The only good thing was Liverpool and Everton fans watching the game together without any hint of trouble.